Don’t underestimate foreign county. Middle East might be different in many ways, but fines in traffic are sometimes even stricter than in United States. A thorough knowledge of the common traffic fines will ensure that you do not get into any trouble. Some of these are:
1. It is necessary to have a liability insurance on you if you are considering car rental in Kuwait. You also need an international driving permit issued to you. In case you do not have the necessary documents, you can be taken by the police and kept in custody until the documents are presented on your behalf.Fine results in 100 Kuwaiti Dinars (350 USD) and potential jail sentence up to one month.
2. Alcohol consumption in Kuwait is illegal. In fact drunk driving will cost you 500 Kuwaiti Dinars which equals almost 1800 US Dollars in addition up to three months of jail. Same applies for any other substance.
3. Parking of the car is not permissible in the area where the curb has been painted yellow and black. Fine for wrong parking is 50 KWD (180 USD).
4. Seat belts for drivers and front seat passengers are compulsory. Fine for not wearing seat belts while driving around the country is 15 Kuwaiti Dinars (55 USD)
5. Eating,drinking or smoking behind the wheel – fine 50 Kuwaiti Dinars (180USD)
6. Exceeding speed limit for more than 40 km/h will cost you approximately 200 Kuwaiti Dinars (700 USD). If authorities decide they might put you to jail as well up to three months.
7.If you are involved in an accident you need to be present at the scene until the local police arrives. Hit and run offense will be punished with almost 300 Kuwaiti Dinars (1000 US Dollars) with combination of jail sentence up to three months, depending on the type of accident.